The functions of the South African Corps of Military Police are as follows:
- Traffic control which includes the following tasks:
- Implementation of the formation staff traffic plan.
- Planning of traffic control and the regulation of traffic by signing military traffic routes, traffic circuits and the position of pointsmen.
- Aid with the control of stragglers.
- Aid with the control of refugees.
- Escorting of priority convoys, VIPs and the protection of the latter.
- Maintenance of law, order and discipline and the investigation of crime within the SANDF.
- Detention, control, safe custody, care, handling, administration etc of military detainees, prisoners of war and civilians internees.
- Security duties at division or brigade headquarters.